Renaissance Journalism is accepting applications for a Program Manager to join our small, but mighty, team.
The Program Manager will develop, coordinate and support Renaissance Journalism’s multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder initiatives, which are local as well as national in scope. Specifically, in 2021, the Program Manager will coordinate the planning and launch of two national initiatives: a journalism fellowship program focused on the housing affordability crisis and “LaunchPad,” an early-career program to support “next-gen” social justice-focused journalists. Our other key programs include the Equity and Health Reporting Project and BAMC (Bay Area Media Collaborative). Additionally, the Program Manager will support the Executive Director in the coordination and implementation of strategic communication initiatives that support the overall success of Renaissance Journalism and its projects.
If you are a journalist with strong program management chops and a passion for harnessing the power of good journalism to advance social justice and equity, we encourage you to apply.
Nonprofit program managers, including community organizers and communications professionals, who are committed to social justice and equity —and who have a deep knowledge of and interest in transforming the news media and journalism—are also encouraged to apply.
Here’s the job announcement with all the details:
Before applying, please take a moment to explore our website to familiarize yourself with Renaissance Journalism’s history, mission and groundbreaking work.
1.0 FTE, 40 hours per week, Exempt
Work from home
ABOUT RENAISSANCE JOURNALISM
Renaissance Journalism was founded in 2009 to advance equity and social justice through high-quality, principled and community-centered journalism. We believe that journalism and the media have the power to inform, engage and empower communities that have been marginalized, oppressed and ignored, and to stimulate public policy and positive social change. We work as a small, but mighty, team that encourages collaboration and partnerships with journalists and news organizations, nonprofit and community organizations, activists, academia and philanthropy. Please visit our website, https://renjournalism.org, to learn more about Renaissance Journalism’s history, mission and groundbreaking work.
The Program Manager works closely with the Executive Director to develop, coordinate and support Renaissance Journalism’s multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder initiatives (locally, regionally and nationally). Specifically, in 2021, the Program Manager will oversee and coordinate the planning and launch of two national initiatives: a journalism fellowship program focused on the housing affordability crisis and “LaunchPad,” an early-career program to support “next-gen” social justice-focused journalists. Additionally, the Program Manager assists the Executive Director in the coordination and implementation of strategic communications initiatives that support the overall success of Renaissance Journalism and its projects.
As we do not have a brick-and-mortar office, all Renaissance Journalism staff work remotely from their homes. However, when it is safe and permissible, we will return to holding weekly in-person staff meetings and to organizing in-person meetings and events at local venues. We, therefore, strongly prefer that applicants be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee and manage the day-to-day operations and logistics for a national, one-year fellowship program on housing and equity. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
– Recruitment and selection of fellows and mentors/coaches;
– Design and implementation of a comprehensive and intensive in-person and/or virtual training curriculum that may include webinars and coaching sessions;
– Grants management, budget oversight & expense reimbursements;
– Events and meeting planning (on-site and virtual);
– Communications and content distribution strategy;
– Program evaluation.
• Coordinate and manage the planning and implementation of Renaissance Journalism’s other initiatives, including LaunchPad, Equity and Health Reporting Project, and the Bay Area Media Collaborative (BAMC).
• Coordinate and assist in the execution of all aspects of grants and fellowship administration, as well as budgeting and finance management, for Renaissance Journalism initiatives and projects.
Communications, Research & Outreach
• Oversee and manage the organizational website(s), including writing, editing and posting of news items, creation of pages for new initiatives, work with designers, writers & editors, etc.
• Assist in the development, management and execution of a strategic communications plan that includes websites and social media; engagement with key stakeholders; brand development and messaging; etc.
• Conduct policy research, analysis, and dissemination, as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Five+ years of experience in project management and major event planning—particularly in organizing and running large and complex journalism/media initiatives, such as a national fellowship program, on a relatively tight budget, with limited staff support, and on deadline.
• Three to five+ years of experience as a journalist is preferred. All candidates must have a demonstrated familiarity with and deep knowledge of the news media industry ecosystem (Bay Area and nationally, nonprofit/for-profit media; ethnic and community media) and of journalism practice and ethics, gleaned either from being a working journalist or having worked for a news organization in a relevant program management capacity.
• Demonstrated passion for and experience in working on issues of social justice and equity, such as diversity, inclusion and equity in newsrooms; racial and social justice; income inequality, etc.
•Excellent analytic and critical thinking skills, with the ability to see the bigger picture and map a road towards completing goals. Yet also moves with ease and skill between strategic thinking/ analysis and tactical work.
• Highly organized, creative, attentive to details, and flexible—with the ability to manage multiple projects, plan and prioritize work, work independently, and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex concepts into digestible language for multiple audiences.
• Strong record of building and managing strategic relationships, partnerships and collaborations.
• A sense of teamwork, patience and empathy, and a good sense of humor are a must.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is based on the experience and skills of employee. Excellent and comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401k match, access to Flexible Spending Accounts, commuter expenses and leave benefits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Renaissance Journalism values equity and believes in a just and fair society where all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We work towards a more inclusive world and as such we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. Renaissance Journalism is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment.
Please email the following to Valerie Bush, Executive Director, at email@example.com. In email “Subject Line” please write: RJ Program Manager.
- A letter of interest
- Your résumé
- One to three links to your journalism-related work, especially work that demonstrates your interest in and understanding of social and racial justice and systemic inequity issues.