Position: Program Associate
Reports to: Managing Director of Programs
Compensation: $25/hour, Regular Part-time, Non-Exempt
Hours: 24 hours/week
Benefits: Kaiser HMO 30/500, flexible work hours, prorated vacation and sick pay, 401K plan
Location: Remote, must be based in San Francisco Bay Area
ABOUT RENAISSANCE JOURNALISM
Renaissance Journalism was founded in 2009 to advance equity and social justice through high-quality, principled and community-centered journalism. We believe that journalism and the media have the power to inform, engage and empower communities that have been marginalized, oppressed and ignored, and to stimulate public policy and positive social change. We work as a small, but mighty, team that encourages collaboration and partnerships with journalists and news organizations, nonprofit and community organizations, activists, academia and philanthropy.
The Program Associate assists in the planning and implementation of Renaissance Journalism’s programs and activities to help carry out and sustain our mission. The Program Associate will work closely with the Executive Director and Managing Director of Programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support and assistance with the development and implementation of Renaissance Journalism’s current and new initiatives and projects, including LaunchPad, Housing & Equity Fellowship and Bay Area Media Collaborative.
- For each initiative, provide administrative support and assistance, including grants management (e.g. preparing documentation for grants), event and meeting planning, processing payments to vendors, and expense reimbursements.
- Assist with webinar and event production.
- Assist with research projects; coordinate surveys and interviews.
- Process paperwork for fellow and grantee applications and contracts.
- Help post content on website and social media. Maintain program files, photo archives and manage mailing lists.
- 1-3 years relevant work experience.
- Ability to carry out assignments independently with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Able to juggle multiple projects and tasks with tight deadlines.
- Experienced user/administrator of Zoom, Slack and Google Workspace suite of applications.
- Demonstrated interest in social justice issues, media and journalism.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or communications.
- Familiarity with the nonprofit and news media sectors.
- Have experience working as a reporter and/or writing external communications.
- Strong tech skills, including WordPress, Mailchimp, Airtable or other collaborative project management apps, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as outstanding verbal and written communication skills, a plus.
We understand that you may have some but not all of the required qualifications. If you are interested in our mission and work, as well as skill-building and career growth, we encourage you to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 31, 2022
Email the following to hiring@renjournalism[dot]org. In email “Subject Line,” please write RJ Program Associate.
- Letter of interest addressed to Daphne Magnawa
- Two work references
In your letter please be sure to address the following:
- Why do you want to work at Renaissance Journalism? What about the organization excites you or resonates with you?
- Tell us about a specific project or projects you’ve worked on. What was your role and accomplishments? What did you enjoy about your work? What were the major challenges and how did you address them?
If you have any questions, please email Daphne Magnawa at daphne@renjournalism[dot]org.
We do not have a brick-and-mortar office, and all Renaissance Journalism staff work remotely. However, when it is safe and permissible, we will return to holding in-person staff and work-related meetings on a regular basis, as well as to organizing in-person meetings and events at local venues. We, therefore, require applicants to be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Renaissance Journalism values equity and believes in a just and fair society where all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We work towards a more inclusive world and as such we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. Renaissance Journalism is committed to maintaining a diverse and multicultural working environment.
Renaissance Journalism is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives.